- To assist students in their college studies and to steer them toward graduation.
- By providing enrichment activities and exposure to Sony Music Group’s music experts and industry, we hope to help nurture and cultivate students throughout their academic careers.
- To assist in the development and growth of a broad talent population of young music leaders toward meaningful employment.
- And, based on financial need and region, to help reduce the financial burden of students from varied backgrounds for the duration of the degree programme or upon graduation, whichever comes first.
Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program Eligibility
- Open to students who are planning to enroll full-time in an accredited college or university degree, including 3-4 year undergraduate degree programs, in music or music business-related fields of study during the academic year of 2022-2023.
- Maintain a U.S. equivalent GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or above is required to apply for this scholarship.
- An applicant’s academic record must show potential to succeed in a college/university program in their intended music industry field.
- A demonstrated financial need.
- Applicants do not need to be accepted into a program at the time of application, but if selected for a scholarship, proof of full-time enrollment will be required before scholarship funds can be sent.
Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program Benefits
The Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program will provide a robust scholarship package, including:
- Annual financial support ranging between USD $3,000 and USD $20,000 per student up to the period of the degree program or upon completion, whichever occurs first. Recipients are responsible for the balance of funding, including tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, and transportation.
- Ongoing student advising services throughout the duration of the scholarship to maximize degree program completion rates.
- Self-service portal for scholars to update information and gain access to resources.
- In addition to receiving the scholarship, Sony Music Group Global Scholars may be given other opportunities by Sony Music Group to further their professional development, including unpaid internship or mentorship opportunities.
Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program Selection Criteria
Scholarship applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Achievement and potential in music fields
- Demonstrated leadership potential and ability
- Personal character, commitment, and potential in their chosen field of study and future music industry career
- Clearly expressed financial need to support educational goals
- Academic achievement
- Career and academic goals in line with stated scholarship objectives
- Compelling references
How to Apply for Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program
The application will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on Monday, July 25, 2022.
A complete application must be submitted in English and will include:
- Completed online application form
- A personal statement (up to 3,500 characters)
- An estimate of your expected tuition and mandatory fees to complete your degree programs during the academic year of 2022-2023;
- Two reference letters. The letters must come from non-family members who know you well – for example, a teacher, instructor, professor, employer/work supervisor, scout leader, advisor to an extracurricular club, etc.
- High school transcript/grade report issued by the school (for applicants from the United Kingdom or Commonwealth countries, A level, O level, GCSE, or BTEC results are also acceptable)
- Only applications completed by the deadline will be reviewed. Falsifying or plagiarizing any portion of your application is grounds for automatic disqualification.