The programme is aimed towards young talented African citizens who are currently pursuing or have recently finished their Ph.D. in a field relevant to the World Bank’s operations.
Since its establishment, the fellowship programme has been extremely effective in developing a solid pipeline of young African talent interested in working in development, international organisations, African governments, think tanks, and academia.
The programme provides selected fellows with a six-month assignment at WBG offices in Washington, D.C. or in country offices to obtain hands-on experience in WBG operations. This encompasses the development and distribution of information, the design of global and national policies, and the establishment of institutions to achieve inclusive growth in developing countries. Fellows will benefit from research and innovation in a variety of areas while also working on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bank’s goal of eradicating poverty and enhancing shared prosperity.
World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program Eligibility
- Be a recent Ph.D. graduate (within three years of completion) or be enrolled in the last year of the Ph.D. program.
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal.
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Be under the age of 32 by the closing of the application period.
Benefits of World Bank Group Africa Fellowship
- Fellows are eligible to receive consultant fees and round-trip economy class air travel to Washington, D.C. or a WBG country office from their university or institution.
World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program Selection Criteria
- Phase I: A short-list of candidates will be made available for hire to the different units of the WBG depending on the applicants’ specialization. Applicants will be notified about the status of their application or whether they have been shortlisted or not.
- Phase II: The final list of fellows will be selected in consultation with the various units of the WBG. When the selection is complete, all shortlisted candidates will be informed of their selection status. Selected candidates will then be notified and, upon acceptance, be hired as short-term consultants for six months starting January 2023.
How to Apply for World Bank Group Africa Fellowship Program
Interested candidates who meet the criteria listed above should apply by clicking on the “Apply” button below:
The deadline for applications is August 25, 2022. Late applications will not be considered.