By Omosor Godswill Chukwuneku
Sleep hygiene refers to the habits, behaviours, and environmental factors that contribute to the quality and quantity
of our sleep. This is an important aspect of maintaining good health as quality sleep plays a significant role in the
overall functioning of the body. Unfortunately, with the busy lives we live, proper sleep hygiene may not be a priority
for many individuals. Therefore, it is important to understand the importance of proper sleep hygiene and incorporate it into our daily routines.
The following are some reasons why proper sleep hygiene is crucial for our health:
- Boosts Immunity: Lack of quality sleep can weaken the immune system and increase susceptibility to infections.
Research has shown that during sleep, the body produces cytokines, which are proteins that help fight off
infections and inflammation.
- Therefore, regular and adequate sleep helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Improves Mental Health: Sleep is vital for the optimal performance of the brain. During sleep, the brain processes
and consolidates newly acquired memories, which helps with learning and creativity. Furthermore, insufficient
sleep can lead to mental health problems such as depression and anxiety.
- Enhances Physical Performance: Whether you are a professional athlete or a regular gym-goer, sleep is crucial in
ensuring optimal physical performance. During sleep, the body repairs and rejuvenates itself, leading to bolder
strength gains, improved endurance, and faster recovery.
- Regulates Hormones: Proper sleep hygiene is essential in the regulation of hormones such as leptin and ghrelin,
which control appetite. Insufficient sleep increases the production of ghrelin, leading to an increase in appetite,
which can lead to weight gain.
- Lowers the Risk of Chronic Conditions: A lack of proper sleep hygiene is associated with an increased risk of
chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. The body requires adequate rest to maintain
optimal health, and when we fail to prioritize proper sleep hygiene, there may become significant and long-lasting
In conclusion, proper sleep hygiene is critical for overall health and well-being. Incorporating good sleep habits into
our daily routines can help boost immunity, improve mental and physical performance, regulate hormones, and
decrease the risk of chronic conditions. Therefore, strive to make quality sleep a non-negotiable priority, and
remember- a good night’s sleep means a healthier and happier tomorrow.
Omosor Godswill Chukwuneku is a Law Student of Delta State University, Oleh